Zachary D. Wechsler
- Legal Counselor
Zachary D. Wechsler provides clients with a full range of legal services, including the defense of all licensed professionals requiring defense of their professional licenses in front of the State Bar, Medical Board of California, Board of Psychology, Board of Registered Nursing and other health care or licensing agencies or boards. Mr. Wechsler's clients often face discipline, license suspension, revocation or probation due to allegations of moral turpitude, substance abuse, negligence and other profession-related issues. Additionally, Mr. Wechsler is skilled in representing clients seeking bar admission (moral character) or admission to other licensed professions, whether their applications have yet to be filed or have been denied. Mr. Wechsler has represented clients before administrative panels, state agencies, trial and appellate courts. He provides clients with a vigorous and pro-active defense of state bar disciplinary matters. As perhaps the only former bar examiner currently representing clients before the Committee of Bar Examiners, Mr. Wechsler is without peer when it comes to assisting bar applicants who have moral character considerations. Other clients of Mr. Wechsler include all manner of licensed health care and mental health professionals, including physicians, dentists, nurses, social workers, psychologists, physical and respiratory therapists, licensed vocational nurses, real estate salespersons and brokers, insurance brokers, contractors, licensees with the Bureau of Automotive Repair, and even thoroughbred jockeys, trainers and owners who face professional discipline.
Because many of Mr. Wechsler's clients run and/or manage their own businesses, Mr. Wechsler's services include provision of business and employment consultation advice, contract negotiations and mediation of business disputes. He also provides mediation services to nonclient parties who are interested in alternative dispute resolution. Mr. Wechsler was a former paid and nonpaid mediator for the Los Angeles County Superior Courts. His references are available upon request.
Mr. Wechsler is a former Deputy Attorney General for the State of California who was appointed to the Committee of Bar Examiners by the bar's then governing Board of Governors. He served on the committee from 2000 through 2004. He is currently a member of the Southern California Mediation Association (SCMA), the American Association of Nurse Attorneys (TAANA), the Association of Discipline Defense Counsel, APRL (the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers), The State Bar of California, The State Bar of California, The Southern California Mediation Association, the Culver City/Marina del Rey Bar Association and the American Bar Association (ABA). His C.V. may also be found on Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+. He is also a founding member of the Academy of Professional Licensing Attorneys.
Mr. Wechsler received his law degree, cum laude, from Loyola Law School, where he was awarded membership in the Order of the Coif, a national honor society for law school graduates. He was honored with the American Jurisprudence Award for the highest grade in legal writing and corporations, and received the highest grade in more than a half dozen other classes. Therefore, he was the recipient of the Faculty Academic Honors Scholarship. He was elected Vice President of the Saint Thomas More Honor Society and was admitted as a member of the venerable legal fraternity, Phi Delta Phi. He also served as an extern for the honorable Justice Sheila Prell Sonenshine in the California Court of Appeals, Fourth District, Division Three.
Mr. Wechsler has been admitted to practice before all California state courts and the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
Areas of Practice
- State Bar Defense: Moral Turpitude, Letters of Inquiry, Investigations, Reinstatements, Bar Admissions;
- HealthCare Licensing Boards in California including but not limited to the defense and admissions of professionals before the Medical Board of California, Board of Pharmacy, Board of Registered Nursing, Dental Board of California, Board of Psychology and the Board of Behavioral Sciences
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: Recipient, Faculty Academic Honors Scholarship
- Honors: Vice President, St. Thomas Moore Honor Society
- Honors: Member, Phi Delta Phi
- Honors: Recipient, American Jurisprudence Awards in Legal Writing and Corporations
- Honors: Honorable Justice Sheila Prell Sonenshine in the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division Three, Extern
- Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut
- B.A. - 1977
- Major: Philosophy
- Major: Government
- Baker v. Gourley, 81 Cal.App.4th 1167, 97 Cal.Rptr.2d 451 (Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division 2, California 2000)
- Super Lawyer, 2019-2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Southern California Mediation Association, Member
- American Association of Nurse Attorneys, Member
- Association of Discipline Defense Counsel, Member
- California Academy of Attorneys for Health Care Professionals, Member
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, Member
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of California, Member
- Culver City/Marina del Rey Bar Association, Member
- Academy of Professional Licensing Attorneys, Founding Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA), Member
- American Bar Association (ABA), Member
- California Association of Disciplinary Defense Counsel (CADDC), Member
Past Employment Positions
- Deputy Attorney General for the State of California, Committee of Bar Examiners, 2000 to 2004